Saturday, December 18, 2010

5 Reasons Why I am Thankful To Grow Into Adulthood In the Recession

1. It is easy to think big but thank little when you have excess.
                   We are big thinkers. We love comfort. These lead us to be continually thinking about what can bring us more comfort. Once we get that house/partner/car/outfit that we knew would bring us comfort, we are dissappointed when the comfort is temporary and are left to think bigger. What bigger thing will bring me longer comfort? A bigger house/ a better partner/ a flashier car/ a bigger wardrobe. The cycle continues. It seems that the bigger we think, the lesser we thank. Entitlement is a very dangerous thing. Why should I be thankful for something that is my RIGHT? I earned this. I worked very hard for very long to become a  _____________ and to make ___________, so now I naturally get ___________ and ______________ and  _____________.


 2. Weariness causes longing for something greater.
                    I love the the line from "O Holy Night," "A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices." Isreal was surely familiar with wearniess. For hundreds of silent years it had waited for God. Can you imagine? But the line doesn't say "A thrill of hope weary Israel rejoices," but rather the "world rejoices." Hmmmmm..... I love that God has created us so much in His image that all man, not just the ones who believe in Him, ache for something that only He can give. How beautiful a line. A thrill of hope contrasted with weariness. Although the weariness is always present in this world, it is much more difficult to feel it when you are comfortable, fat, and rich.
3. The worst of circumstances often give birth to the best of character.
                   I instantly think of John Walkup, the dear father to my husband. He grew up during the Great Depression. I know he had more character as a result. He saw the value of work,and worked very hard. He also was content with very little, and thankful for everything. I can't help but think of all the character produced in the children of the Great Depression, who would be fighting for our freedom a decade later in World War II. Would that War have been different if it weren't for that Great Depression?

4. It gives more opportunities for blessing.
                  With it being the peak of the Christmas season, I have heard this a lot- "I just don't know what to give______________, he/she has everything and we just don't have much money this year for presents." We have gotten so used to having this standard of giving store-bought gifts for everyone. It is kind of sad to see this routine of buying gift cards or candles for someone and then they give you gift cards or candles. It is the great exchange. But what if we just stopped? What if we listened to each other saying "we really don't have much money" and blessed each other in other ways? I can't help but think of what Christ brought us, what would He say if He was at your house on Christmas morning? I am not saying that gifts are from the devil, I just think we need to be smart. The idea of a Christmas gift is to let someone know you love them and to bless them. How can we do that best?
5. All people appreciate greatness, and I think the Recession makes  people not only  look for greatness- but appreciate it more when they see it.                 
                     I love this clip. The singing is beautiful, but that is not my favorite part. What I love the most is that it takes place in such an ordinary, familiar setting. Out of this food court while people eat their routine Chick-fil-A lunch, comes greatness and beauty. People are suprised and delighted. I am sure that many of them do not even know what the song means, but they can't escape its glorious beauty. It makes me think of the King of Kings being born in such an ordinary setting, but the beauty that was there that caused shepherds and wise men to worship and a powerful King to fear. It makes me think of the day He will return and all people will be in awe of His glory, beauty, and power. It is captivating.
My computer is having an issue embedding it on this post....so check it out on the previous post. You won't regret it!

1 comment:

Barbara Rix said...

You are such an amazing friend! This post, where you show a thankful spirit when so many of us are quick to complain, highlights all the things that make you special: your gift for discernment, your ability to see the best in a person, your child-like awe of God and the world he created. You are truly when of the biggest blessings God gave me this year.