Tuesday, May 25, 2010

E is for Eli




When I say, "I fly home tomorrow morning to visit my family" what I really mean is "I fly home tomorrow to visit Elijah John Emmons." Eli is my nephew. He is 17 months old and is the most wonderful boy in the entire world. He likes to hold my hand. Ahhh....Elijah. If you can't tell- I am pretty excited to see him.


The funny thing is, Elijah is technically number 24 in the long line of my nieces and nephews. You see... I have 2 half sisters that have 9 kids between them. I was adopted by my aunt and uncle who already had 4 kids when my sister CJ and I moved in--- between those 4 kids there are 14 children. The first "niece' was born when I was just three years old. The last one was born this past year. Most people would think it strange that it wasn't until Elijah was born that I really felt like an aunt....


On the one hand I am part of a very large family. I have the 2 half-sisters and the four cousin/sibling combos (even though they are technically my cousins....they feel like siblings). On the other hand, my immediate biological family consists of just one other person. I only have 1 full blooded sister- CJ. CJ is 18 months older than me and my very best friend. She is the closest thing to family that I will ever have- since our mom died and our dad didn't raise us. I am sure that all sisters share a special bond, but I suspect that what CJ and I have is as unique and sweet as it gets. She is the only other person in the world that has known all the details of my life since birth. She is my closest living relative, we share the same DNA. But what I love is that we share the same memories.


I'll never forget talking with Mollie McClellan Ackes after her brother and only sibling, Madison had passed away. She said that (paraphrasing) the grief she was feeling was so strong because she felt like she had lost her childhood. Madison was the only other person that had lived that same childhood along side her, and now he was gone. She had the memories alone. After thinking about what Mollie had shared, I realized how true that was of CJ and me. I know that I have cherished the times we have shared together even more thanks to Mollie and Madison.




I guess that is why Elijah seems like my first real nephew. When he was born, I had never felt so much love in my heart for another person (except Clay, but you all know what I mean :). He is now part of the little family of Rhoda (Katie) and CJ. I can't wait for Eli to start living a life alongside new brothers, sisters, and cousins and to have a heart full of wonderful memories like CJ and I have had the blessing of having all these years.

2 comments:

The Smittys said...

so sweet. and i've seen firsthand that he's wonderful!

CJ said...

Thank you! I just now found this and am reading it in September. I feel the same way. Even though you are in NC and I am in FL it feels like you are in your room right down the hall. I wish you were!!!
Eli LOVES you. Thanks for being such a great aunt and sister.