Friday, May 14, 2010

Scripture Memory















Those who know me well know that there a special place in my heart for John Piper's ministry and work. I love listening to his sermons and reading his books. I really relate to the way he communicates, and his passions really speak to my heart and quickly become my passions. The other day I was listening to a sermon he preached last year on the importance of memorizing scripture. But not just of memorizing scripture (even the devil and the religious leaders who wanted Jesus killed had memorized scripture), but letting His words abide in you (John 15 was the text). Abide means making a home for the words of Christ in your heart. It might even mean having to move things out to make room for His words. I loved it. I hung on each word of the sermon. I printed it out and read it over and over. I was convicted that I haven't devoted time to memorize scripture. I was encouraged that doing it now would not be in vain. I then downloaded the verses that his church has memorized and got to work.
My first verse is Deuteronomy 7:9 "Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations." Wow. I love this verse. I love that through the Bible we discover who God is. I love that God is faithful. I love that He has entered into a covenant with a broken people. I love that He loves with a steadfast love.
Piper was definitely right. Scripture memory is a sweet and precious thing that should be treasured.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rhoda, I will memorize the Bible with you, IF you memorize the Bible with me.